Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Project: International Slumber - Prologue


Author’s Note: I had intended to do all the build worklogs in order. However, this one is a special project that needs to get done in less than the year it will take me to catch up with the other worklogs. Just consider this a flash forward deal, and any references to past projects and events will be explained in due time. Like reading the script for ‘Lost’, only less confusing…

At this point I had 4 customs under my belt: My OG El Kabong2 stick, the Berserker Barrage MvC2 stick for Nick, the Guile Generations mashup for Germaine, and my lovely El Guapo. Out of the 4 projects, I’ve worked with d3v on the artwork for 3 of them, and tried to ship some people his way for some commissioned art as well. One day I got an e-mail from him about a project he wanted me to work on with him. After doing a number of custom jobs and seeing some of the amazing custom cases available, he decided it was time to get one of his own.  This one would have all the bells and whistles on it, and he wanted me to do the wiring for him. I was honored and intimidated at the same time. This would be the first time doing a custom job for someone outside my immediate circle (I had installed a Chimp in someone else’s stick a while ago, but that was small change compared to this). I had to make sure everything was as neat as possible and that everything worked the first time and every time. Complicating matters was the fact that d3v isn’t exactly local. I’m near Washington DC in the US, d3v is in the Philippines. Any technical support would be nearly impossible. So any stick would need to be practically bulletproof to survive the trip overseas. It would be a challenge, but one I was up for. Thus, International Slumber was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment