Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Semi-Pro: How I BBQ (Prologue)

Anybody that knows me (or has stalked through some of my Facebook posts) knows I like to grill. Day or night, summer or winter, beef, pork, chicken, seafood or other (on occasion I'm forced to put a vegetable on the grill grates), I've got the reputation of someone that knows his way around a grill. And with good reason: I know my way around a grill. I can do a brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, steaks, chicken, either in parts or the whole bird, ham, dogs, brats, burgers...you get the point. I've got standing orders from some people for wings and thighs. I brought some pulled pork to work one week and told 3 people about it, with the suggestion they share with others in the office. None of them did, opting to eat it all by themselves. Go figure.

I'd love to say this was all natural talent, but honestly, it wasn't. Over the past few years I have read numerous books, magazines, web articles, videos, blogs, etc, from backyard cooks to world champion pitmasters and everything in between to figure out how to grill and smoke food to have people coming back (or at least not to embarrass yourself when you present it to them). 3 basic things stood out:
  1. There is a bit of difference in competition BBQ and BBQ for family and friends
  2. Most recipes are variations on a theme. There really isn't one super secret ingredient that's going to make your food much better than everyone elses.
  3. More than anything else, it's all about your technique. Not your spice rub, not your secret sauce, not what you're cooking with. If your technique is sound you can cook on anything and for anyone.
With that in mind I figured I would write a series of posts showing some of the foods I like to cook on the grill and the smoker. The title of the post (Semi-Pro) is indicative of the techniques I've read, tried, and use. That and the fact that I am far, FAR from a professional, and I am in no way suggesting how I do it is the right way or the only way, but what makes sense for me and seems to work based on the food I've cooked. Along the way, I will try to point out what steps the professional BBQ circuit pitmasters may use and where it may or may not be necessary or practical for what you or I chose to do for the cook at hand. I will also try to explain some of the reasons behind the techniques and products used, and share some links to resources that you can look at on your own.

Myron Mixon, multiple grand champion pitmaster, has said BBQ is really a humble food that, while it does take time and attention to detail, isn't that complicated. Anybody can cook on the grill, and do it well, regardless if they're using gas, electric or charcoal. And honestly, there's not much better than watching others enjoy that hot batch of food that just came off the grate, then having some yourself. Hopefully, the posts will encourage someone to try. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment