Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Berserker Barrage: the Marvel Vs. Capcom Stick Saga Part 5 – Paint Woes

I decided to take a break from the soldering for a while and focus on painting. Since the weather getting even colder, I figured that it would be a good idea to get the paint finished, making sure it would dry and that I wouldn’t be spending too many nights in a chilly garage. Since I thought I had learned from my mistakes from the first case, painting this one should be pretty simple. Little did I know how many ‘L’s I would be taking…


As mentioned, the MadCatz MvC stick has a yellow and white button scheme, with a yellow ball top. Since I was putting my own spin on it, I too was going with yellow and white (clear) happ parts with a bat top, just like the American style arcade cabinets. While the JLW joystick does come with a bat top handle, they only come in black, white, blue and red. No problem, I say to myself, I can just paint one. I could even give it a nice shiny finish just like the balltop with a little work (although in retrospect that would probably be super slippery). My only concern was I would be painting plastic, which can be finicky as far as paint adhesion if you don’t do it right. The last thing I wanted would be is the paint would flake off or stain your hands over time. My first choice for paint would be the new Rustoleum Universal paint, which is supposed to adhere to almost any surface.
The only problem is, it seemed no store in my area had it at the time. Home Depot, Lowes, AutoZone, Advance, Target, Walmart –all they had was black, white, silver, maybe a green. No yellow. However, I came across some Valspar Plastic paint, formulated specifically for plastic (duh), with no sanding required.


Not in red, of course...

So I figured I’d buy a can and give it a try. Once I got home I set up my paint area in the garage again. I had to figure out how to hold the bat top steady while painting it. I used a wooden dowel that was close to the diameter of the threads in the bat top, sanded it down slightly and screwed it in. I then drilled a hole in a scrap block of wood I had and placed the other end of the dowel there. Now I had a makeshift stand where I could spray the entire top at one time. I cracked the garage door for some air, applied 2 coats as suggested, and waited for it to dry. After a few hours, it was evident this wasn’t going to work. The paint had started to run and drip off the bat top, leaving the paint too thin on the top and pooling heavily on the bottom. If the weather was a bit warmer, the paint may have dried before it started to run, but this wouldn’t be the case for the middle of winter. So, one can of paint wasted, one ‘L’ for me. I soaked the bat top in some latex paint remover for a day and peeled and scraped the paint completely off. After washing it with cold water and wiping it down with mineral spirits, I let it dry while I figured out what to try next.

I decided I’d try to paint the bat top with a good coat of primer, followed by the yellow paint and some clearcoat for protection and shine. If the primer would stick to the bat top, the paint would bond to the primer and reduce the chance of flaking off. Plus, I could perfectly match the bat top with the color of the case, since I’d be using the same can of paint. So, I went back to the store for a can of Rustoleum.

To aid primer adhesion, I lightly scuffed the bat top with some sandpaper. Once I wiped the residue, I set the bat top on my stand and painted 3 coats of primer. Once it was dry, I wet sanded it with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper until the finish was smooth. Next, I sprayed on the yellow paint. After 5 coats, I had a nice even layer of paint built up and a garage full of fumes. I decided to quit for the day and let it dry overnight. When I got home from work the next evening I wet sanded the yellow paint with 400, 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper. The finish was now nice and smooth, with a rubbery, grippy feel to it. I let it dry overnight with the intent on spraying the clearcoat the next day after work. I was eager to see how this would turn out, since things seemed to be going well so far. So when I got home, I changed my work clothes and hit the garage with the can of clearcoat in my hand. However, not 5 minutes after I sprayed the first coat I knew something was wrong. The yellow paint started to wrinkle as if someone balled up a piece of Saran Wrap. I looked at the can I sprayed and confirmed my worst fear: I had picked up the lacquer clearcoat I had used on my first stick, not the enamel clearcoat I had bought for this project. As a result, he solvent in the lacquer was eating through the enamel paint. ‘L’ number 2 for me. Dejected, I tossed the ruined mess in a container with some paint thinner, determined to clean it off and try again in a few days.

Bat top painting, take 3. All goes just like before. Clean and scuff the bat top. Spray 3-4 coats of primer. Let dry overnight. Wet sand. Spray 5 or so coats of yellow paint. Let dry overnight. Wet sand. This time, I made sure the lacquer was faaaaaaaaar away from me and double checked the label to make sure I had the enamel clearcoat. The first coat of clear seemed to go on ok, but after I the second coat the yellow paint started to take on a textured look not unlike an orange. The paint wasn’t wrinkling as badly as it did with the lacquer, but it definitely wasn’t smooth, and sanding wasn’t going to help. To be honest, the texture looked pretty cool (almost like the texture and look the plastic on a happ joystick has), but it wasn’t uniform, so leaving it that way wasn’t an option. I once again soaked the bat top in a fresh batch of paint thinner as I accepted my third ‘L’ of the project, contemplating what went wrong this time. I thought the enamel wouldn’t react to itself like it would react to the lacquer, so I didn’t think that was a problem. I started to wonder whether or not the paint was fully dry from the wetsanding, and if not would that have been the cause of the wrinkling paint. So, after cleaning the paint off the third time I went through the entire process again. After I wetsanded, I decided to wait 3 days before trying the clearcoat. After the third day, I noticed I had sanded a few spots thinner than I liked, so I decided to spray on a few more coats of yellow. Guess what happened? Yep, wrinkling paint. This was staring to get old…

At this point I decided it was time to try something else. Since I couldn’t find the yellow Rustoleum Universal paint, I did some reading on Krylon Fusion paint, which is supposed to be somewhat similar to the Rustoleum. It’s claim to fame is that it bonds to plastic, dries to the touch in 15 minutes, requires no sanding or priming, and is workable within an hour. Others on the SRK forums have had decent success repainting their MadCatz SE cases, so I figured I would give it a try. I went down to Walmart and picked up a can.


This stuff should work, right?

To make a long story short, history repeated itself. The paint came out much like the Valspar paint for plastic, but runnier. That’s 5 tries and 5 ‘L’s. All for aesthetic purposes.

Now I’m at a loss. Every time I tried to paint this bat top has ended in failure for one reason or another. Not only has this wasted time and money, but the spray paint was starting to leave a dusty film on some things in the garage, like my wife’s car. Fortunately, a cloth and mineral spirits made for relatively easy cleanup. That and the fact she hadn’t washed her car in months made the yellow film unnoticeable to the untrained eye. While racking my brain on what to do next, I called my mother for advice. Her favorite color is purple, and she has been known to dye everything purple, from shoes to bags to cowboy hats (and I wish I was lying…). She mentioned she used spray dye that she found at the shoe repair shop. Unfortunately, they didn’t carry yellow. After a few other suggestions that I told her wouldn’t work, she suggested dyeing the piece with Rit. This sounded like a great idea. People had been dyeing their RC parts in Rit for years to get that custom color to make their car stand out. Why I hadn’t thought of that is beyond me. Then again, this wouldn’t be the first or last time I’d not think of something on this project.





So, back to the store I went. I picked up a box of golden yellow Rit dye. I also ordered a white bat top from LizardLick. I figured the white would take on the dye better than the black bat top I was working with. Don’t ask why I didn’t get a white one in the first place, because I have no clue. Once I had everything together I grabbed my crock pot I use to clean the exhaust pipes on my RC (another post for another time) and mixed the dye according to the directions. Using the dowel I had for painting, I placed the bat top in the pot of dye, checking it just as directed to make sure it didn’t get too dark. 30 seconds. 60 seconds. 90 seconds. Two minutes. Each time I checked, it seemed the dye barely did anything to the bat top. Once I rinsed as directed, what little tint was washed off completely. I tried leaving it in the dye for 10 minutes before pulling it and rinsing. Same effect. Next, I added more dye, figuring I may need a higher concentration of dye on this particular plastic. After 20 minutes, the dye had just barely started to have any effect. The only other thing I could thing of is that my crock pot wasn’t heating the dye up enough, even on high. As a last ditch effort, I took the ceramic bowl with the dye out of the heating element of the crock pot and took it upstairs to the kitchen. Making sure not to splash it anywhere, lest my wife kill me, I placed it on the stove and brought the dye to a rolling boil, then let it simmer for 2 hours after that. The result? You all know what happened, go on, you can say it…’L’. Is that number 6? I’m starting to lose count.

So, plastic paint wasn’t working. Enamel paint wasn’t working. Powdered dye wasn’t working. What else is left to try? Vinyl dye. The dye is formulated to seep into the vinyl or plastic and bond to the material, rather than sticking to the surface like paint. People often use the dye when restoring or customizing their cars, dying the dashboards or seats. This sounded like just the ticket to getting the bat top painted once and for all


Man, this had better work....

However, finding it locally was futile. AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, even the great bastion of cheesy car customization, Pep Boys- nobody carried yellow vinyl dye. You would think somebody would need it to paint the seats and dash of their 1997 Honda Civic DX bright yellow to go along with the 3 foot wing and 4 inch fart pipe, but no. So I ordered a can online and had it shipped to the house. Two days and $20 later, the paint arrived. One afternoon when the weather got above 40 degrees I took the bat top and painting stand outside, along with the switches I would be using, and sprayed on the dye. Per the directions, I sprayed 3 light coats on the parts, followed by a few heavier coats, all about 10-15 minutes apart. After about 6 or 7 coats I had a nice even coverage of yellow on the top and the switches. Afterward I brought the parts in and let them sit for a week per the instructions. Once everything was good and dry I used a bit of 15oo grit sandpaper to smooth out the edges, and then used some rubbing compound and polishing compound to bring out a nice shine.

Finally, the bat top was finished. Who would have thought that something so small would have taken so freakin’ long to get right? If I had started with the vinyl dye in the first place, I would have saved myself so much time and money. But without the dye being available locally, trying something else proved an extreme exercise in futility. I couldn’t figure out what was going wrong with the regular paint, which bugged me to no end (and I would have my Bill Engvall moment later on once I figured it out). To be fair, many have had great success with the Krylon Fusion line, and had it been a little warmer things may have worked out on the bat top. But at least I got it done for the sake of the project.

Just to show how funny life can be, I went in AutoZone a while after that to get supplies for my oil change. Just for giggles I walked down the paint aisle. A bright yellow can of Rustoleum Universal paint sat on the shelf, mocking me. Apparently, AutoZone decided to start carrying it AFTER I took my repeated ‘L’s. I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry, or knock all the paint off the shelf. Ah well, live and learn. There' sno telling whether that would have worked any better than the Krylon, and I don't really care to find out either at this point. Hopefully, after the huge helpings of FAIL that I had working on the bat top, painting the case should be much easier. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment