Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Berserker Barrage: The Marvel Vs. Capcom Stick Saga Part 11 – All Together Now

Now that the artwork was done all that was left to do was put Humpty Dumpty back together again and present the stick to Nick. There were a few small modifications I wanted to make to the case before wiring everything up. In an effort to hedge my bets against that JLW, I wanted to drill holes in the control panel to fit a Happ joystick. That way if the JLW just didn’t feel right, I could swap it out for a Competition joystick. I removed the mounting plate from the JLW and screwed it on the top of the control panel. Next, I marked the holes that lined up with the Happ joystick and drilled and countersunk the holes so the screw heads would be flush.



Just in case...

I installed the Happ Competition (yellow, or course) along with the case bottom panel to make sure the joystick shaft didn’t bottom out or scrape the panel. No problems there. I then had to work on the bottom panel itself. I had bought and cut a piece of plexiglass to replace the particleboard that the case came with. I needed to cut a notch in the plexiglass so I could access the switch to turn the LEDs on and off. I taped the switch in the approximate spot I would mount it during assembly and placed the plexiglass on top, marking he space I would need for the switch and the holes I’d need to drill for the feet. Using a combination of the dremel and a hand file, I cut and shaped the notch for the switch, then drilled the screw holes for the feet. Instead of just having clear plexiglass, I used some automotive window tint I still had around the house and covered the inside of the plexiglass, for a 20% smoke tint look.

Modifications out of the way, it was time for reassembly. I laid the artwork in the case and put the plexiglass top over it so I could cut the holes for the joystick and buttons. Once I finished that, I removed the plexiglass and artwork so I could access the screws for the joystick. Having reattached the mounting plate back on the JLW, I mounted the joystick to the bottom of the case and tightened the screws. I then replaced the art and plexiglass, and installed the buttons, making sure they were all lined up the proper way before tightening down the mounting nuts. I installed the LED boards and the microswitches, then attached the wiring harness for the ground chain, signal lines and LEDs. I used zip ties and zip tie anchors to hold the sixaxis and 360 PCBs in place, and ran the signal leads from the leo to the junction block. After connecting the button leads to the junction block, I made sure all the data lines and power lines were wired to the correct switches on the back of the case. I used some construction adhesive to mount the LED power switch to the side of the case, then wired up all the ground leads and power leads to the small junction block on the left side of the case. Finally, I attached the battery to the junction block, and attached it to the case with a piece of Velcro. At long last, the project was finished. I gave the stick a quick polish with a microfiver cloth and took the completed stick outside to take some pictures of all the hard work.

All Done! Ruy doing his Vanna White impression...


Wider angle shot

It took almost a month, but it was worth it...


This shot was with the yellow bubbletop, in case Nick wanted a balltop


Doesn't exactly match the buttons, but it works

Rear shot showing painted switches, start, home (clear yellow) and select, and USB connector


Bottom plexiglass panel with tint. Ryu scaring away ants...


All the soldering, crimping, and sheething, in it's naked glory


All the signal lines and LED lines. The power junction block is on the left


The signal line junction block, leo board and 360 PCB

Closeup on the buttons with the labels

d3v's logo. First time on a custom. Huzzah!

Yellow paint. Polished to a mirror shine. Took long enough...
THIS is what happens when you take the time to wet sand. Looks better in person

All that left to do no was deliver the goods. I gave Nick a call to tell him his stick was finally ready. He showed up around 8:30 with his Xbox ready to go. After showing off Mass Effect 2 for an hour, he finally opened the box and had a look at the finished product. After admiring the art and craftsmanship, I had him fire up the PS3, which worked with no problem. At this point he didn't realize the buttons lit up. After a few rounds of MvC2, I had him flip the switch to turn the lights on. Needless to say, he was impressed. We then hooked the 360 up to take a quick video of everything in action:


Nick decided he liked the feel of the bubble top more than the bat top, so I made the switch for him. After all it took to get that bat yellow in the first place! I tell you.... But it's his stick so I'm not complaining. We played Mvc and SFIV until our fingers cramped and called it a night.


No comments:

Post a Comment